View of the Shark interior


A customer brought me a Shark S3501 steam mop which was not outputting any steam.  She had attempted to fix it herself, but with no luck.

After some study of the appliance and a bit of searching on You Tube - I found that the heater core can become calcified and the important steam passages get clogged. So the next step was to open it up, remove the heater core and do a bit of cleaning.  I disassembled the heater core and soaked it in CLR.

View of the Shark interior
Shark Fix

Broken hoses


Ah - but the devil is in the details!  As it turns out, the silicon hoses which pass the water and steam thru the device had aged, and when I removed them from the core, one of them tore and was now not long enough to put back on.  So -  I fabricated a right-angle connector and have the hose easily reach the heater core.

A piece of 5/8" AL was cut to length, and bored in far enough to accept the outlet of the heater core. I remove the enlarged end of the outlet pipe on the core to make it easier to fit my adapter.

Broken hoses
Shark Fix

The fix is in


Next I got a brass 1/8" hose-barb adapter at Home Depot, and turned it down for a press fit into a mating hole on the side of the adapter. The assembly was put together with J-B Weld epoxy, which is good to 500 degrees. I let the epoxy set overnight, and when reassembled and tested, the hose blew right off the fitting! ARRGH!

As it turns out, a bit of calcium had gotten into the hose in the output end and was now totally blocking - couldn't even blow air thru it. The hose assembly was held vertical and straight CLR poured in, and let to set for a few hours. Then gently pushed and poked a copper rod down the hose... and VOILA! - liquid and gunk began poring out.

The fix is in
Shark Fix

Final assembly


The Shark Swims (and steams) again!

Final assembly
Shark Fix