First Cuts


To test out the Micro Indexer, the first cuts were done on a scrap of 1x2 board.  I turned it to a 4" diameter and cut "teeth" with a .062" slitting saw.

This was just a very rough test - wanted to see how it would hold together, and if it would "return to home" - ie. have the cutter fit in the first cut after stepping through and cutting the 99 others.  

A 4" diameter (actually 3.955" - I went undersized) - has a circumference of 12.425".  Spacing .062" cuts evenly would make a .125" pitch - or a 1/16" tooth and a 1/16" space. the .125 spacing turned out to give 100 teeth!   Wish I'd made a little smaller piece - it was a LOT of cranking (200 passes to be exact) to run this test.

First Cuts
micro-indexer first cut

The last tooth!


This is the final, crucial cut. Will the spacing be good?  Does look like it!

 I think the whole "gear" took nearly an hour to cut.  Now I know why people use CNC routers!

With the cutter not running, I stepped around a number of teeth and turned the saw into the slot.  Seems like there may be a tad of error, but it was very close.  I also blew a couple teeth by stepping the indexer while the cutter was still partially engaged.

The last tooth!
micro-indexer first cut

The finished piece


Here is the pseudo-gear in all it's glory!  I'm fairly happy with the outcome, but this is a very rough test.  The wood disk may have slipped on the arbor and cutting through the end grain of the wood can have problems.

Next I'll need to create a more robust stand for the indexer and possibly a better arbor for holding the work.  Also the next test will be with aluminum.

The finished piece
micro-indexer first cut